Starting on 01/01/2021, all freights heading towards Libya require getting an ECTN.
An electronic tracking number (ECTN) must be obtained for Libyan customs
The Libyan Customs Authority on behalf of the Libyan Ministry of Finance informs all importers, exporters, shipowners, carriers, shipping agents, customs agents, and everyone who uses Libyan ports that the electronic information system ECTN will be officially launched at 1st of January 2021.
The Libyan Customs Authority announces that all products that will be unloaded in Libyan ports require the extraction of ECTN document.
About ECTN system:
- Importers must obtain an ECTN from an authorized agent to unload any cargo at Libyan;
- The ECTN document must be taken from the port of loading;
- The goods without an ECTN will not be loaded onto the vessel;
- The ECTN must be written on the bill of lading;
- Shipments without ECTN documents are prohibited from entering Libyan.
Requirements to obtain an electronic tracking document ECTN:
- Bill of lading;
- Customs Declaration;
- A commercial invoice, certified by the Chamber of Commerce by exporter;
- The certificate of origin, certified by the Chamber of Commerce by exporter;
- Weight certificate for merchandise priced on the basis of weight (VGM);
- Export declaration for all goods;
- Automotive data, in terms of the date of manufacture chassis number and weight;
- Inclusion of the customs tariff clause;
- Statistical code of the Libyan.
How long does it take to get the ECTN number?
Libya conducts all the approvals in Antwerp office. The approval process usually takes 3 days. As the transit period in Libya is short, ECTN applications should be made shortly.
Due to the political uncertainty in Libya, there are some ports that apply ECTN, and some ports that do not. Please contact our team for the latest information.
This will allow Libya’s ministry of finance to:
- Access detailed coverage and live data of the nature of the goods entering Libya’s ports;
- Access to data declared at the origin to certify cargo/freight values declared during the import procedure;
- Have steady and reliable income from outside of country;
- Predict cargoes flux for harbour operation optimisation.
Thank to our member Janah Cargo Transport for sharing this news with us!